UPDATE 11/9/2015: Thank you, everyone, for your amazing entries! This year’s contest is our best yet, and we are thrilled by all the terrific costumes. We plan to announce the winners on Monday, November 16. In the meantime, be sure to look through our Facebook album to see the incredible creativity of all our entrants: 2015 Costume Contest Album.
It’s time for our 4th annual costume contest, folks! And thanks to a couple of generous supporters, our prizes are bigger than ever this year. So send in your pictures! Make ‘em good, because it helps a lot when we’re judging the costumes. We’ll upload all the entries to our 2015 Costume Contest Album on our Facebook page.
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, November 8, 2015.
What we’re looking for: costumes that fit into our own costume categories here on the website. That means a goddess or mythological figure, a great queen, a notable historical person, or a glamorous star. No generic costumes and no copyrighted characters, please. To get a sense of what we like, the best thing you can do is look at our contest winners from prior years:
Here are the prize categories for this year:
Best Goddess or Mythological Figure Costume = $50 Amazon gift certificate
Best Queen Costume = $50 Amazon gift certificate
Best Notable Woman Costume = $50 Amazon gift certificate
Best Glamour Grrl Costume = $50 Amazon gift certificate
Best Realization of a Take Back Halloween Design = $50 Amazon gift certificate (this prize is about faithfully recreating one of our specific designs here on the website)
Grand Prize for Best Overall = $100 Amazon gift certificate
No Glamour Grrl category for juniors, because there will be plenty enough time for that when you’re grown, young lady.
Best Goddess or Mythological Figure Costume = $25 Amazon gift certificate
Best Queen Costume = $25 Amazon gift certificate
Best Notable Woman Costume = $25 Amazon gift certificate
Best Realization of a Take Back Halloween Design = $25 Amazon gift certificate (this prize is about faithfully recreating one of our specific designs here on the website)
Grand Prize for Best Overall = $50 Amazon gift certificate
Special Achievement Awards
This is our wild card category. The same rules apply in terms of the kind of costumes we want to see, but these awards are to recognize special achievements in fabulousness. We never know what people are going to send us, so we’re just leaving the prizes unspecified until we see the entries. Check out those links to our contests from past years to see the kinds of things that float our boat.
1. Your costume must fall into one of our four categories: a notable woman from history, a queen, a glamorous star, a goddess or mythological figure.
2. Your entry photograph(s) should show the costume in full, and should be clear and well lit. Good photographs help the judging, so we suggest you try to avoid distracting backgrounds.
3. Please tell us exactly who or what the costume represents, along with your name.
4. By submitting your photo, you are giving us permission to publish it on the Take Back Halloween website and on our Facebook page. You are welcome to send in multiple photos of the costume to help us see the full glory of the thing.
5. If you’re submitting a contest entry on behalf of someone else, you must have that person’s permission to submit the entry and publish the photo. If other people appear in the photo, you must obtain their permission for us to use and publish it.
6. The costume may be from any time in the past two years.
7. You may enter up to three (3) costumes for consideration.
8. Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com.
9. The deadline for submissions is 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, November 8, 2015.
We expect to publish the winners about a week after the submission deadline.